Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics
  • LocationPreston's Springs Chateau & Health Resort

Current mood: Creative

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:57 PM

There have been and continue to be, fanfictions written about what might have happened after the 6th season of Dr. Quinn. In late 2008, I thought of a new way of making a fan creation of a continuing story of Dr. Quinn. The idea is video storytelling, similar to that of a silent film. Since I wanted my editing skills to be improved, I waited until 2010 to begin the editing process. The project was completed this month and is now online on YouTube.

Link: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WJ8l7wEhR8"]YouTube - Dr. Quinn Season 7 - Episode 1: The Mail-Order Bride[/nomedia]

The footage used, is from Dr. Quinn episodes (mainly) and other movies/shows, but manipulated to appear as something slightly new.
A thank you, to Mary Ann, (Dr. Quinn Times) for posting some of the intended season 7 ideas, that I was inspired by to make this fan made episode entitled "The Mail-Order Bride".

(I'm sorry if this thread should not be posted in this section of the forum. Hopefully it's ok)

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

"Misfortune only made me stronger. I learned from it, then moved on. Ever forward. That's the Lodge way". ~Mr. Lodge II~

#2 Jen

Jen

Dr. Finn, M.o.D.

• Moderators
  • 3,855 posts
  • 25 topics

Current mood: Thinking

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Wow Sidsel. I'm 4 minutes through your video and I'm already thinking "how did she do this???" almost with every new shot. Your masking skills are so good, I don't think I've seen many other videos with such amazingly created scenes with characters from different films/series. How long did it take to edit this one episode? :roll: I'm totally impressed, and I really like the idea as well. I'm off to watch the rest of it now. :D :slapthigh:

banner_julesblue_1.jpg

#3 Kruemi

Kruemi

Town's Gumshoe

• Moderators
  • 6,834 posts
  • 161 topics
  • LocationLützen

Current mood: Busy

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

WOW! That was great! I mean, I don't know anything about editing a video, but I love the story you tell. Can't wait to see where this will lead!!

Love all, trust few, do wrong to none. - Shakespeare

#4 Preston-Lover

Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

Wow Sidsel. I'm 4 minutes through your video and I'm already thinking "how did she do this???" almost with every new shot. Your masking skills are so good, I don't think I've seen many other videos with such amazingly created scenes with characters from different films/series. How long did it take to edit this one episode? :roll: I'm totally impressed, and I really like the idea as well. I'm off to watch the rest of it now. :) :slapthigh:

I'm blushing! Aww thank you Jenni :) You are so sweet.
It took me three months to edit, and that's with me working on it everyday....I'm glad it's finally completed hehe..

WOW! That was great! I mean, I don't know anything about editing a video, but I love the story you tell. Can't wait to see where this will lead!!

Thank you so much Kruemi :D :accord: :lol-2:

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

"Misfortune only made me stronger. I learned from it, then moved on. Ever forward. That's the Lodge way". ~Mr. Lodge II~

#5 Morchel

Morchel

VIP-Townie

• Advanced Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • 2 topics

Current mood: Tired

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

It's great Sidsel! I can't wait to see more. And I agree with Jenni, you are a master at incorporating persons from other series into videos! And what a great story you tell!
~Jeske~

#6 Mervi

Mervi

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 699 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

WOW! You gave me the best christmas present! It feels like the show is alive again :roll: Thank you so much! :slapthigh:

#7 Anne

Anne

Janiac

• Out Of Town
  • 2,263 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationJane-Land, East Germany

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

I just finished watching it. Wow! ... is the first thing that comes to mind. Awesome editing, Sidsel! I have no idea how you did that. Would take me ages to understand and progress to your level. And the story - so intriguing! I can't wait to see how it continues. :slapthigh::roll:

Where is the music from that you used?

Posted Image

#8 martina

martina

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 813 posts
  • 14 topics

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Wow, what a great video! That´s wonderful job. Thank you so much :thankyou:. You have really talent for making and editing videos. I am looking forward to your next one.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 cooperkids

cooperkids

VIP-Townie

• Advanced Members
  • 874 posts
  • 49 topics

Current mood: Procrastinating

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

I watched this yesterday. It is wonderful. You are so talented.

#10 Preston-Lover

Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Thank you everyone for your more than kind comments. They mean very much to me and I'm starting to get motivated to make another episode. One of the ideas I have, is making Dr. Cassidy settle down in Colorado Springs (him taking the position at the Chateau) and really play around with the idea of him and Michaela being rivals, but at some point they have to be forced to help each other out in a medical emergency.

you are a master at incorporating persons from other series into videos!

Thank you :)
I also had to do a lot of manipulation with the Dr. Quinn characters - Like the train station scene where Michaela stands beside Sully; that scene is manipulated. I took Michaela from a scene outside the general store, where she was standing alone and talking to Brian, and placed that footage beside Sully, making it appear as if they stood together. You might ask, why couldn't I just have used a scene where Michaela and Sully are standing together....Well, I tried searching for it, but there wasn't any - everything with the hair and cloth has to match with all the scenes in one sequence to avoid confusion.
It's a lot of work, but the result is all worth it, even though only few will notice it.

It feels like the show is alive again :P Thank you so much! :thankyou:

I couldn't be more happy to hear that, because that was exactly what I was aiming for. The reason I spent as much time as I did on this project, was to really make it look (or close to it) like something new and that people would have the feeling that the show was continuing, or how it would have looked, had it continued back in 1998.

Where is the music from that you used?

Fantasy Pieces - by Robert Schumann
Andante con moto (1-3) - by Max Bruch
Xenosaga – Sorrow

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

#11 Ella

Ella

Café Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,692 posts
  • 155 topics

Current mood: Brooding

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:00 PM

Sidsel!!!!! :thankyou:
WOW!!!!!!!
I only had the chance to see it now. I tried a few days ago, but the video stopped after a few minutes, so I had to interrupt. But now I've seen it all. :P:astonished:

It's amazing. Not only how you managed it technically to mix the footage together to create new scenes. (Gosh, did I just say 'only'?) But to create a whole new storyline, even two: an A-storyline and a B-storyline, as we know it from Dr. Quinn, then find fitting scenes, write the text, mix the footage, add the new characters. I'm getting dizzy alone when I think about it all and you even did it. What a hard and amazing work!!! Thank you very much for that. :)
And what a nice story. I mean: poor Preston, but it was such a great way to continue the end of the loose ends of season six. You even didn't forget Robert E and Grace.
This was so Dr. Quinn!!! I absolutely agree with Jeske on this. And I agree with Kruemi: I would love to see what happens next.
Btw: I secretly hope that Preston will fall in love with her after all.:)
Oh, and I also like the idea with Dr. Cassidy. :lol-2: Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be great. :D
Posted Image

#12 Preston-Lover

Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thank you Ella, you're very kind. I appreciate your comment very much :thankyou::thankyou::cheers:

Btw: I secretly hope that Preston will fall in love with her after all.:)

Even though it would be nice, there are so many ideas that could be developed if he kept "hating" her, plus I wanted Clarice portrayed as a character who was loved by everyone in Colorado Springs (except Preston), and hated by everyone watching the fan made series, knowing both sides of her personality.

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

#13 Lizzie

Lizzie

Town Fiddler

• Moderators
  • 2,679 posts
  • 45 topics

Current mood: Busy

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hey Sidsel, this sounds an amazing project, and from people's comments you must have done it justice!
I haven't yet watched the episode because I have some computer/bandwidth usage restrictions, but I'm very excitedly looking forward to watching it soon! :thumbup2:

banner_shutupmulderbaseballbyJen_zps8819

#14 Simona

Simona

Mi piace Jake

• Out Of Town
  • 726 posts
  • 4 topics

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

For some reasons I can't understand the video doesn't load! :)
However, from what I read and what I already know about your editing skills, Sidsel, I know it must be amazing!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Survivor of the horror car n° 2!

#15 Preston-Lover

Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Thanks, Lizzie and Simona. I hope you're both soon able to watch the fan episode.
Simona, maybe try hitting the pause/play button on YouTube, and let the video stream...

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

#16 Anne

Anne

Janiac

• Out Of Town
  • 2,263 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationJane-Land, East Germany

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:15 PM

That's what I always do because my dsl is anything but speedy. :)

Posted Image

#17 Morchel

Morchel

VIP-Townie

• Advanced Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • 2 topics

Current mood: Tired

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

For me it also depends on the time I'm watching it. During the day (European time) I don't have any problems with watching Youtube clips. In the evening, it takes ages to load and it's not fluent then.
~Jeske~

#18 Simona

Simona

Mi piace Jake

• Out Of Town
  • 726 posts
  • 4 topics

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Sidsel, I tried that several times but the loading gets stuck after a few minutes and then stops definitely!:):spankthecomp:
A friend of mine suggests some program must be sucking too much bandwith (or RAM or I can't remember what) and she will try to fix the problem when she comes and visit. I hope soon! :slapthigh:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Survivor of the horror car n° 2!

#19 martina

martina

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 813 posts
  • 14 topics

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

Sidsel, I tried that several times but the loading gets stuck after a few minutes and then stops definitely!:):spankthecomp:
A friend of mine suggests some program must be sucking too much bandwith (or RAM or I can't remember what) and she will try to fix the problem when she comes and visit. I hope soon! :slapthigh:

I hope your problem will be resolved soon Simona, because you just have to see it!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 Preston-Lover

Preston-Lover

• Miss Lodge •

• Advanced Members
  • 506 posts
  • 28 topics

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Sidsel, I tried that several times but the loading gets stuck after a few minutes and then stops definitely!:D:spankthecomp:
A friend of mine suggests some program must be sucking too much bandwith (or RAM or I can't remember what) and she will try to fix the problem when she comes and visit. I hope soon! :D

Oh, that sucks...sorry you're having problems...If your friend can't fix the problem, there's always the option of downloading the video. You can use the free and easy program "Any Video Converter". I'm currently not using that program, because it didn't work last time I used it...but maybe it works now. I use "Orbit" now when I want to download stuff from YouTube.

♥  ANewLifeBanner1.jpg♥  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users