#1 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hi everyone!
I am brand new here - and I have been on a massive internet search to try an find out any information on the blue shawl pattern done in a shell stitch that is worn by Dr. Mike in many episodes but is seen the longest and the most up close in the first episode of Season 4 "A New Life" - when she goes to see Horace at the post office - that is where the back of the shawl can be seen up close.

I can't take a pic of it to blow it up - and from what I can see when I pause the episode I have made out some basics of the pattern - but was wondering how to get (if at all) in touch with who made them - or where they were made (provided) for the show - I would love to make this and it is such a beauty!

So if there are any crocheters out there - it looks like a large hook pattern beginning with a fan shell at the base of the point and going up increasing the shells each row.
The first row of each shell is done in treble crochet st, the second is single crochet and the third row of the shell is double crochet st. but it is the connecting and increasing I can't seem to figure out without bunching and puffing out the edge. This I know - it is worked from a single shell from the bottom up so that the shells rounded edge faces up.

Most patterns for triangular shell shawls on the internet - begin at the top long row and go down to the point - and the one site that had Antique patterns has errors in it's trianglular shawl pattern making it impossible to match it.
So calling all crocheter's if you are interested or if not a crocheter - do you have a info on the costuming/wardrobe end of things???
Thanks in advance ...Mary

#2 Mervi

Mervi

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 699 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:48 PM

Have you searched ravelry.com (a knit and crochet community)? It requires (free) registering and there are many many patterns! Maybe you could have luck there.

I don't have my DVD's here and I can't remember the shawl in details. I prefer knitting and blue is not my color. Otherwise I would be interested in making it :gilda:

#3 SadieCass

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama

• Advanced Members
  • 628 posts
  • 22 topics

Current mood: Cloud 9

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

Here's a couple of pictures....

Posted Image
Posted Image

I was going to make the ravelry suggestion as well (I might also suggest craftster.org They don't have as many available patterns, but a lot of links to great resources). I have an account there and you can get countless free patterns. I have not seen one like this, and I've spent some time this morning looking.

I'll keep my eyes out...I'm not adept at drafting patters, but I think this one is most likely a crochet pattern over a knitting pattern. I've found a couple close-but-not-quite just by doing a search online....so try your luck there!
Posted Image

#4 Mervi

Mervi

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 699 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

The good thing about crocheting is that it's much easier to improvise than knitting :gilda:

By the way, if anyone wants to add me as a friend on Ravelry my user name there is Putkitomaatti. it would be fun to see your projects, favourites etc. ;)

#5 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:39 AM

Sadie & Mervi -
Thanks for the quick replies!
Definitely it IS a crochet pattern - and I have the "shell" part down - it is the chaining in between and spacing that a pattern would be so helpful on.

I too did an extensive internet search and came up with some "not quite - but close" ones too.
Sadie - those two pictures are the EXACT ones in the scene I meant!
Thank you so much!
I will share them with the group of gals I stitch with at a local yarn shop group and we can see if someone can duplicate it closely - who knows?

Hopefully we can figure it out - I am also trying to get in touch with Ms. Ingle who did the costume/wardrobe work mainly on the series.
It is hunt and peck to try to get ahold of her - still no luck though.
I will keep you posted and thank you both for your help!''

You are right Mervi - crochet is much easier to rip out and re-do many times over again till you get it right - knitting is a little less forgiving - so I am glad it is crocheted!
I also like the cream/ivory one that is worn sometimes by Colleen and then in some episodes by Myra - it has a shell pattern that goes up in linear rows and in between are linear rows of stitching - this shawl is also triangular - those are my two faves!
Mary

#6 Anne

Anne

Janiac

• Out Of Town
  • 2,263 posts
  • 7 topics
  • LocationJane-Land, East Germany

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi Mary, I'm neither a knitter nor crocheter, but I'd like to welcome you here. :accord:

Feel free to post an intro about yourself (long or short, you decide) in the intro section. :D

Posted Image

#7 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:20 PM

Thank you Anne - perhaps later tonight I will have more time on the pc to do this - and thank you again for the welcome!!!!
:D

#8 Guest_Dutchgirl_*

Guest_Dutchgirl_*
  • Guests
  • 2 topics

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

I love that shawl as well. It would be great to have the pattern!

#9 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

Finally got 'round to posting my introduction to the forum - *sigh* life happens!

#10 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 161 topics

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:49 AM

I have a book coming from Amazon that may in fact have the stitch pattern in it! I also think I saw it in the Vogue Encyclopedia of Knitting & Crochet - so I have a couple of resources to draw from!

#11 Kruemi

Kruemi

Town's Gumshoe

• Moderators
  • 6,834 posts
  • 2 topics
  • LocationL├╝tzen

Current mood: Busy

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

so I have a couple of resources to draw from!

;) Great!! And you know: we wait for a pic to see the result of your work after all this reasearch :ashamed:.

Love all, trust few, do wrong to none. - Shakespeare

#12 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

Well - the Amazon book I got did not offer too much in the way of help - but I met up with someone on Ravelry ( a needlecrafting site) who lives in Australia and was of the utmost assistance!
She helped me get going on a base for the pattern and now I just need to put it thru a test - already I have had to tweek it a bit - but I think overall it may work!
To be continued after the holiday - crazy week here already beginning!
LOL!

#13 Morchel

Morchel

VIP-Townie

• Advanced Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • 9 topics

Current mood: Tired

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

Sounds great! I hope it turns out beautifully just like Michaela's.
~Jeske~

#14 Rose

Rose

Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 205 posts
  • 5 topics

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

Wonderful! I hope it turns out great! :)

#15 Mervi

Mervi

VIP-Townie

• Out Of Town
  • 699 posts
  • 2 topics

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'm glad to hear you found someone who could help :)

Have you already chose yarn for this? Do you make it blue like Dr. Mike's?

#16 shuttlebuggy

shuttlebuggy

Tourist

• Out Of Town
  • 12 posts
  • 12 topics

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:49 AM

Yes Mervi! I definately want it in a blue like Michaela's - from all I can see when it comes up on episodes I watch - it is an azure or teal blue.
There is the perfect yarn at my local yarn shop - trouble is it is $$$ so I will have to save up a little for it!
But for now I am using cheaper yarn to prototype it!
:)

#17 becky213

becky213

Accepted Immigrant

• Out Of Town
  • 206 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

WOW shuttlebuggy!!!

I am a crocheter and knitter and just today had the idea to look up "Dr. Quinn knitting projects" to see if anyone had wanted to do anything out of the episodes. I like to do crafts out of movies, and have been working on a lot of projects and patterns created from Harry Potter and have been loving the challenge of making something look like it does on screen.

THIS IS RIGHT, and I mean RIGHT up my alley, and I'd love to try to crochet this shawl as well. I think it's beautiful and seems like the perfect holiday project.

I'm really interested in knowing how you plan to go about this, since I want to try this at some point. I'm more advanced with my knitting than my crocheting, but have taught myself fair isle so I feel like I could teach myself to do the increases in this.

Please let me know all you've found so far if you wouldn't mind!! Gah, how lucky was it that I found this here on graces, right when I was looking for it, that someone else wanted to do the same thing. This is exciting![COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Sadie & Mervi -
Thanks for the quick replies!
Definitely it IS a crochet pattern - and I have the "shell" part down - it is the chaining in between and spacing that a pattern would be so helpful on.

I too did an extensive internet search and came up with some "not quite - but close" ones too.
Sadie - those two pictures are the EXACT ones in the scene I meant!
Thank you so much!
I will share them with the group of gals I stitch with at a local yarn shop group and we can see if someone can duplicate it closely - who knows?

Hopefully we can figure it out - I am also trying to get in touch with Ms. Ingle who did the costume/wardrobe work mainly on the series.
It is hunt and peck to try to get ahold of her - still no luck though.
I will keep you posted and thank you both for your help!''

You are right Mervi - crochet is much easier to rip out and re-do many times over again till you get it right - knitting is a little less forgiving - so I am glad it is crocheted!
I also like the cream/ivory one that is worn sometimes by Colleen and then in some episodes by Myra - it has a shell pattern that goes up in linear rows and in between are linear rows of stitching - this shawl is also triangular - those are my two faves!
Mary

OOH, I also remember seeing one I liked on Colleen, but I just can't picture it.
Which Colleen was seen wearing it? the first or the second?
Also, do you know which episodes this one ( the cream/ ivory) can be seen in?

thanks!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 becky213

becky213

Accepted Immigrant

• Out Of Town
  • 206 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

this is the closest thing I have been able to find,
http://ny-image2.ets...ll.88474006.jpg

but I'm not good with patterns or creating patterns myself, and have virtually no experience doing that, but I hope we can take ideas from a lot of different sources and somehow find a way to make this shawl come to life.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 becky213

becky213

Accepted Immigrant

• Out Of Town
  • 206 posts
  • 12 topics
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

I found one I liked on Colleen in the same episode of season 4, "A new life". But I think that one would be much easier ( for me) than the one Mike is wearing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 becky213

becky213

Accepted Immigrant

• Out Of Town
  • 206 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

Ok, I know I keep coming back to this thread when no one else has said anything and it's probably driving everyone crazy, but I've been doing a lot of research on this shawl for the past couple of days because I'm so excited about this and I can't even wait to get started.
I found.. THIS:
http://www.etsy.com/...l-crochet-shawl

which is the MOST similar thing to Dr. Mike's teal shawl as I can possibly get. I think it's really close and really adaptable. The only problem is, on etsy, there's no pattern available.. sadly it's just a buy the shawl option.
However, I think we can make something out of that if we really analyze it.
As a note: I think Michaela's is a lot longer, not sure about the width. Also, I don't think there's fringe on hers.

Also, I was yarn shopping at Hobby Lobby for this project the other day and found two yarns that would be WONDERFUL.

The first is " I love this yarn " ( I think that's a HL brand) - " antique teal"

and

Caron Simply Soft " Pagoda"

shuttlebuggy, and anyone else who might be interested in making the shawl, if you're in the US and have a HL near you or another store that carries Caron yarn, let me know what you think!

Oh dear, I just can't wait.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users